Civil Liberties & the Supreme Court (POL/115)
I need an explanation for this Political Science question to help me study.
This assignment is designed to help you analyze civil liberties and the role of the U.S. Supreme Court in upholding them.
Visit the American Civil Liberties Union Supreme Court Cases website to see civil liberties cases (i.e. one of the Bill of Rights, Amendments 1 – 10) that the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled on, organized by term.Select a landmark Supreme Court case from the Bill of Rights Institute website. (DO NOT CHOOSE McDonough v. Smith (2019).
Provide an analysis that addresses the following:
- The civil liberty that is addressed in the case including the text of the amendment from the Bill of Rights
- An explanation of the Supreme Court’s involvement, including the following:
- The importance of the ruling (why it is significant)
- How the case moved through the lower courts to eventually be heard by the Supreme Court
- The powers granted to the Supreme Court by the constitution that allowed them to rule on the case
Format your assignment as either one of the following:
- 18- to 20-slide presentation with detailed speaker notes in a separate word document
- 875 word paper
Cite 2 peer-reviewed, scholarly, or similar references to support your assignment. Do not use Wikipedia, Quora, Yahoo Questions or other crowdsourced websites as references.
- Include a reference list in APA format.
- Use in-text citations in APA format.