Primary Source Analysis Paper
Im studying for my History class and dont understand how to answer this. Can you help me study?
- Length: 1-2 pages
- Format: Typed, double-spaced, 12 point font, numbered
- Citations: Chicago Manual of Style footnotes for each reference to the source
- Sources: Base your essay entirely on the source you chose to analyze.
- Thesis: You must have a clearly articulated thesis statement. Read the prompt carefully, identify a central theme, and come up with an overall argument for your essay.
- Title: Give your paper a title that indicates what the paper is about (Something more revealing than Primary Source Analysis) Clever titles will be duly noted.
- Proofread: Thoroughly proofread and spell-check your paper.
Choose any primary source that has been assigned throughout the course. Examine the source carefully.Analyze the contents of the source and think about its significance in the context of the course.
Find the answers to the following basic questions:
Who created the source and when?
What kinds of information does it contain?
What topics, themes, or experiences stand out in the source?
What does the source tell you about the lived experiences of people
in the United States prior to 1877?
Write a two-page paper based on your findings. Keep in mind the following:
You paper SHOULD NOT simply answer the above questions.
Instead, you MUST organize your essay around a major theme that you uncover in your examination of the source and provide a clearly articulated thesis statement.