I need an explanation for this Communications question to help me study.
Being in a relationship can, at times, feel like you are living in a fishbowlwhere it is a challenge to gain an outside perspective. As professional communicators, we can learn to use skills and strategies to take a step back and analyze our relationships to improve our communication performance at home or the office. Emotional intelligence and listening skills are critical soft skills that directly impact our relationships. Learning to recognize our own emotions, and those of others, is an important personal and professional skill. Listening skills, from active to empathetic, is a key skill to understanding ourselves and others.
In this Assignment, you complete Soft Skills Builder Assessments on Emotional Intelligence and Listening, learn about strengths and opportunities, and analyze a relationship that came apart.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Read the Communication Program Professional Writing Guidelines.
- Read Chapter 7 Communication in Relationships and Chapter 5 Listening.
- Read Emotional Intelligence: Developing Strong People Skills.
- Read Poor Listening Habits.
- Take the Soft Skills Builder Assessments on Emotional Intelligence and Listening. You will want to keep the results. These will be needed in Week 6, as well.
By Day 7
Write a 2- to 3-page paper that answers the following:
- Describe a relationship that you have seen go through the coming apart stages. Identify which stage that relationship was in.
- How did the emotional intelligence of the people involved affect the status of the relationship?
- Which of the obstacles of effective listening played a role in the breakdown of the relationship?
- What advice would you give to improve the relationship?
Please Note: Be sure to reference at least one scholarly or popular source to support your answer(s).